Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Refinishing Steel Doors

Oren wrote:
On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 21:44:01 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

PV wrote:

...snip...

I won't respond to every reply but thank you all for your input.

This is a Church and theses are the main entry doors so it's a weekend,
after hours project so door removal is not an option.

I still don't see why removing the doors isn't an option. House, church,
school, whatever. Temporary doors can be fashioned fairly quickly and
secured in a variety of ways.

This might be overkill, but it gets the point across...

http://www.catholicnewworld.com/cnwo.../images/f1.jpg

I agree. It seems to me the OP is trying to repair the doors all by
himself. I'm certain members of the congregation could come together
and do the job in short order.

Maybe have a meal made by some members. Ever see the Amish have a
'barn rasping"? Barn structures built in a day. And the kids get to
play...

I had some friends who bought land near Cooperstown, NY (home of the
Baseball Hall Of Fame). About 20 years ago they wanted a cabin built on the
land. They sent out letters to friends and family across the country saying
that they would be camping on the land during the upcoming summer and
inviting everyone to come down and help build.

A year earlier he had a forester come in with a portable saw mill who cut
all the wood he needed for the 2 story cabin.

My family went down for a couple of weeks and we had the best vacation
we've ever had. When we got there the raised platform had been built. When
we left they were shingling the roof. The exterior and roof sheathing was
all done with 1x6 material. Lots of cutting and nailing.

Every morning the women made us a huge breakfast and afterwards the men
would walk the 1/4 mile to the build site. The kids swam in mud ponds,
nights were spent with guitars and other various instruments around the
camp fire. Naturally we burnt all the cutoffs from the build.

Did I mention that it was the best vacation I ever took?