Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vir Campestris Vir Campestris is offline

Default Memory

I tried it on a variety of cassette brands and technologies. Each one
had a completely different frequency response and gain. Enough to make
using Dolby a complete joke.

Our current cassette deck does some faffing about when you tell it to
set up a tape for recording - I'm pretty sure it's doing an analysis of
the tape to get the exact characteristics. Certainly the blinkenlights
suggest it's writing pulses at different volumes; I'll guess the other
pass is a frequency sweep.

And yes, we do still have one. It's handy for recording things for the
car, and we have a lot of old tapes.

Andy