Tony Manella

Default Cracks in Cherry blanks

I find cherry to differ greatly from tree to tree. The first four bowls I
ever roughed out from cherry all cracked. It gave me a bad opinion of
cherry. Since then I haven't had one crack. I usually just rough turn then
paper bag them in a cool place for 6 months, then take them out and shelve
them for at least another 6 months.
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.org/

"Denis Marier" wrote in message
I wonder what happen?
Last spring, when I was roughing 10-11" dia. cherry blanks I had water
spinning out of the wood. I coated them with Anchor Seal and let them to
dry. Now when finishing those blanks half of them are showing hairline
cracks. The other ash, birch and maple blanks that were done at the same
time are coming out without cracks.