Posted to uk.d-i-y
bm[_2_] bm[_2_] is offline

Default I despair (take 2 ...) OT

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 14:27:09 +0100, Johny B Good wrote:

On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 13:13:39 +0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk

On 2014-04-28, Davey wrote:
On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 08:34:25 +0100 Nightjar
wrote:

On 28/04/2014 02:57, Johny B Good wrote:
That just seems to be due to the inevitable erosion of English
by
way of the more usual American entertainment media route rather
than by that git in the RP department.

Many 'Americanisms' are, in fact, simply continuations of English
that we have stopped using. Fall of the leaf, shortened to fall, for
autumn, for example, or the past particle of get; gotten. The
exchange also goes the other way, with words and phrases like snog,
cheeky and spot on making their way into American English. Purists
over there similarly complain about the derogation of their
language.

Colin Bignell

In all my years living there (30+), I only met folks who didn't
understand simple English words, such as 'fortnight' and 'twice'. And
as for 'thrice' I might as well have been speaking Martian.
I hated their pronunciation of 'schedule' as 'skedule', and
'submariner' as 'sub-mareener', as well as 'consorshium' for
'consortium'.
One of their worst exports is 'gonna', in my view. Pure laziness.

The ones that drive me crazy are the New England pronounciation of
"buoy"
as "boo-ey". And burglarise. Still, it's their language, let them
pronounce it how they like.

I still can't see how "solder" becomes "sodder" ...

Oh, I can! That's just a standard 'skipped the key' typo compounded
by 'Fat Finger' syndrome. This type of 'typo' is one of the more common
ones in my repetoire of typos (e.g. 'remeber' for 'remember' or 'lokk'
for 'look').

Of course, it you're referring to an oral rendition rather than an
off the page sighting, what I've just said is a load of ******** (unless
such a typo was the cause of the utterance by the offending party).

No, USAians *say* "sodder"

They do in the New Yankee Workshop