Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Memory

In article ,
Fredxxx wrote:
Urban myth. The max length was defined by the available tapes for the
U-Matic recorder. The rather odd time being down to the same tapes
being used for PAL and NTSC, but running for a longer time at 25
frames per second. ie, a 60 minute tape at 30 fps becomes 72 at 25. 60
minute tapes were just over 60 minutes long to allow for line up data
- it was a pro format. Hence the 74 minutes.

It's origin is more uncertain though there is a lot of association with
the 74 minutes and Beethoven's 9th.

Tapes were made of various lengths, not just 60/72 minutes. Where did
you get this inference?

From the designers of the CD system (from the Philips side) at its launch.

--
*Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.