Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Refinishing Steel Doors

On 4/28/2014 3:31 PM, PV wrote:
I am working with a pair of steel entry doors that are in need of a
facelift. There are chips and strips of paint missing (from ripping
tape off) and old screw holes from old weatherstripping.

I am planning to bondo and sand the hold, but for the paint chips and
strips should I use bondo to "skim coat" or sand down the entire door to
remove the paint and start again?

I can't remove the doors as they are exterior entrance doors

Any suggestions would be appreciated

I had double steel doors in my last house. They had a window in the
upper half. When I came into some really nice antique leaded stained
glass bookshelf doors, I wanted to install them. The were a little
longer than the original windows. In the lower half of the door there
were plastic do-dads where the plastic was pinned into holes in the
steel. The new window were bigger, but didn't cover all the holes and
other imperfections. I used bondo (for the 1st time ever in my life) to
fill the holes and some imperfects. I remember it going pretty easy.
And I remember the sanding going easy too. It looked great; we really
loved it. I don't thing the new owners really appreciated it that much
as they put curtains over the inside. Yuck! Of course, because leaded
stained glass is not that great against weather, I put another clear
glass window on the outside, so it still looked great from the inside.