Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Memory

On 29/04/14 08:45, charles wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Tape was truly AWFUL.

Cassette tape, yes, properly maintained 15ips or even 30ips - no.

See my other post. Even THAT was not as good as you think it was.

Where do you think the masters for CDs came from?

I worked in recording studios as well as in concert halls and
discotheques. Grandmother/eggs/suck.

Don't confuse the quality of a technology with the results you can
achieve with it.

An ex-army story illustrates the point: platoon pinned down by mortar
and sniper fire coming from a cave.. platoon has wire guided missile,
but can't make it hit.

Man wanders up 'look have you calibrated that?' 'No' OK look, first you
have to level it, then you have to......

....then you put the crosshairs here on the cave there..is that the right
cave..? Yes..OK then you hit the tit, wait 5 seconds in its a Norwegian
blue, see?

And it was..

Nowadays it's probably all digital GPS and gyro stabilised and all you
do is heft it on your shoulder and press the tit. Back then it was
analogue...

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.