Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default OTish. New design Internal Combustion Engine

Now do it from 100mph. Or even 130mph - that's a pretty common top speed
for a big family car these days. (and they come with bigger vented disks
than TNP remembers).

Yes I suppose it is, but are any electrically powered cars those likely
to be a round for some time to come powered by chemically stored leccy
going to be doing those speeds .. that often;?..

I'm buggered if I can afford to wind my A6 up to those speeds assuming I
could find a bit of the M11 or A14 clear enough and could afford the
petrol;!..

With that time doubled, you're up to 120 degrees extra in the copper in
a single stop. Those motors are going to die, and you still haven't
addressed the problem of shifting half a megawatt elsewhere.

Yes a substantial amount of power but like lightning, hardly enough to
run a 100 watt light bulb for any real amount of time but all at once it
can do nastiness;!.

But anything on how long it would need to sustain that amount of power
dissipated in the heat rise of the windings, and the means of power
dissipation connected to same. After all its going be a while before
you'll get the car wound up to those high speeds again?. And assuming
electric breaking does come about no doubt they'll be some clever
software preventing you from doing that too often;?.

Let alone reporting your road speed directly to uncle Bill who will get
his 'puters to send out the necessary speeding tickets delivered by
electronic means to your mobbie, or the wrong sort of "points" in your
software to prevent you doing that again;!(..

Now there's no reason to not use the motors as regenerative brakes -
that in itself is sensible. The problem comes when you try and use them
to completely replace the conventional friction brakes. They can't - big
lumps of iron can take a lot more abuse than copper windings.

Iron might but brake pads?..

Has anyone done any research into this very subject for conventional
road going vehicles?.

And seeing the storage limitations I'd hardly think you'll be able to
throw that sort of power away as heat.

If anyone has got one of these new fangled motor devices how do you get
on with heating same, shirly not as much insulation wrapped around the
car as harry has round his manor house;?..
--
Tony Sayer