Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Safety In The Home, Microwave Edition

On 4/28/2014 3:37 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 03:03:43 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Talk about not paying close attention. I was heating some sausage
in our smallest microwave and unlike some folks I know, I will
adjust the power level to keep something from splattering all over
the inside of the microwave oven. I set the control for 7 minutes
at 40% power, or so I thought. I was concentrating on some Email
when I heard an odd noise from the kitchen. The microwave was full
of smoke and the sausage burned to a crisp. It turns out that I had
inadvertently hit an extra zero when setting the time and it was 70
minutes instead of 7 minutes. Because I had set the power level to
40%, there was no back draft and flames when I opened the frigging
oven but there was a lot of smoke. I can still smell Polish
Kielbasa throughout the house after 3 days from the time of
blastoff. The lesson I learned was to pay better attention to
those mundane tasks I take on every day. o_O

TDD

In the days before Microwave Ovens I (attempted) to heat a can of
soup in my regular oven. Turn the oven to 250, put the can in with
intent to take it out in a few minutes. Promptly forgot about the
can and went on about other stuff and 40 minutes later there was a
VERY loud explosion, the door of the oven shot WAY OPEN and then
slammed shut and there was a smell of burnt soup everywhere within a
few seconds...... I repeated this a week later with almost the same
results except I remembered about the soup after only 25 minutes of
cooking. When I opened the oven, with one arm in front of my face,
the can was bulged out like a basketball and I carefully lifted it
out and placed it in the sink to cool off. That was the last of my
attempts to heat soup in the oven.

When I worked as a bench tech at an electronic repair depot, we had
florescent light fixtures hanging over our work benches and the common
practice there was to put cans of food we wanted warmed up, on top of
the fixture in the location of the ballast. Of course we did it in the
morning so the can would be warm at lunchtime. ^_^

TDD