Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Refinishing Steel Doors

On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 13:31:34 -0600, PV
wrote:

I am working with a pair of steel entry doors that are in need of a
facelift. There are chips and strips of paint missing (from ripping
tape off) and old screw holes from old weatherstripping.

How many holes. Will the fix again be covered with new weather
stripping?

I am planning to bondo and sand the hold, but for the paint chips and
strips should I use bondo to "skim coat" or sand down the entire door to
remove the paint and start again?

Using Bondo is an art, so to speak. Unless you've done it and learned
from mistakes, it may not be a good idea in an obvious eye level view.
Look down the side of a used car and you can see when Bondo was used
improperly. The body has waves in it, not finished correctly.

I can't remove the doors as they are exterior entrance doors

Sure you can. Have some saw horses available?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Take the door off, sand it with various grits of paper using an
orbital sander. Mostly paint the door in the proper climate
conditions after it is prepared for new paint that is well primed,
cleaned, etc.

- take the door to an auto body paint shop