Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Baron[_4_] Baron[_4_] is offline

Default Lenmar MSCAA battery charger. [FIXED]

David Farber scribbled thus:

Baron wrote:
David Farber scribbled thus:

This Lenmar MSCAA battery charger has a capacity of up to 4 AA
or AAA NiMH batteries. Recently, the red charging l.e.d. over
one of the cells began blinking shortly after the charge cycle
began. I measure the voltage for that cell while being charged
and it was not higher than the cell itself. I tried different
batteries all with the same result. There was also some burning
type smell. I disassembled the unit and the pc board felt warm
under that cell. I used my IR temperature gun and the smd IC
that is adjacent to the positive charging terminal was about 30
degrees Fahrenheit warmer (130 degrees and rising) than the
other three smd chips for their respective charging slots. I
turned the power off so as not to cause more damage to the
components. I was wondering what this smd component was. I have
not been able to id the number: 4800 on the top line, then
BD4P15 on the bottom line. I figure it's worth a shot to replace
it.

http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...harger-smd.jpg

Thanks for your reply.

I can't find that number but from the picture it could be a power
fet. A 40v - 1.5a device using the number.

Do you have any idea what would be a suitable replacement?

Thanks for your reply.

Not really ! I would imagine any 8 pin sot fet with those sort of
voltage and current capabilities will do. Just make sure its the
right
type, p or n. If it is a fet then there will only be three
connections. If four then all bets are off...

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Hi Baron,

Sometimes I'll share stories with my wife about my repair issues.
She used to work for a company that manufactured pc boards for
computers. So she e-mailed some old colleagues with the picture of
the part and what do you know? A data sheet appeared in my inbox.

http://www.alldatasheet.com/datashee...O4800B_11.html

Digi-Key sells it for 79 cents. I'm adding it to my next parts
order. (-:

Thanks for your reply.

Great Stuff !
I didn't think to try 4800 as a search key. :-(
Never mind. Glad you got it sorted.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

I finally ordered the part and installed the new chip. The charging
l.e.d. which had been continuously blinking is now steady and the
charging process is back to normal.

Thanks for your reply.

Great stuff :-) Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for letting us know. :-)

--
Best Regards:
Baron.