Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Lesurf Jim Lesurf is offline

Default Memory

In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
On 28/04/14 13:47, Jim Lesurf wrote:

So 20kHz bandwidth and about 60dB range would be a closer guide, but
probably still not give a really representitive value for some
'Mbytes' result.

You are pushing your luck with that on any but seriously pro kit. Th
pre-emphasis on the treble means you only have a few db range above
10kHz.

You'd have to define more clearly what you mean by "only have a few db
range above 10kHz" before I could comment. Can you point to some measured
results that show this? If not, I may have a swan though old AES material
to see what I can find.

Id doubt that a tape was capable of delivering much more than a good
modem over a phone line, 64kbps.

Again, you'd have to be more specific wrt details wrt the basis of your
belief. Bearing in mind of course that speech and music don't normally have
a uniform power spectral density, etc.

Also bearing in mind that most of the music recorded before c1980 for
commercial release or by the BBC was onto analogue tape rather than a
digital system. Yet can sound pretty good nowdays if it was recorded and
kept well.

Bandwidth and S/N are similar. so 8KB/s

Curious to know how you get to claiming that R2R tape and a phone line
having the same bandwidth and SNR.

Jim