Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default House Painting And Peeling Question

On 4/28/2014 11:36 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Got to thinking about this a bit, and would be appreciative of any
thoughts or opinions on.
Probably a dumb question, but was wondering, and concerned.

Will probably have house painted this summer.
The typical wooden Colonial Clapboards style.
Present, and past paint has been Latex.
Hasn't been done in a very long time.

There is paint peeling, "here and there".

So, I guess, we have the Painter scrape where it is peeling, and feather
the edges, etc.

But, it is likely, I would imagine, that the adherence of all the
present paint to the initial paint job, and to the wood is problematical.

Any new paint, of course, never sees the wood itself, so cannot bond to
it. All it can bond to, I imagine, is the paint layer directly under,
which I am assuming has a "problematical" bond to the first paint layer
and/or the wood.

Am I looking at this correctly ?

This seems like a very typical concern, I would imagine.
Nobody wants a new fresh coat of paint to peel due to what it is
adhering to starts to peel.

How is this handled ?
Sure don't want to try and sand down all of the surface areas; totally
impractical.

Thoughts and comments would be most appreciated.

BTW: does pressure washing cause additional peeling ?
Good idea to ?
Caveats, such as a (very) low pressure, or...?

Thanks,
Bob

---
protection is active.

Is peeling mainly at ends of boards and joints? That is likely, and due
to moisture getting into the end grain. I have wood siding, but not
clapboard. First, I would prep/paint in dry weather; fall is best, IMP.
Scrape the loose paint and don't worry about what is adhering. After
scraping, prime bare wood. After priming, caulk joints, gaps between
siding where it meets doors, windows, plumbing/elect. entries. Paint
within two/three days of priming.

Pressure washing is routine with concrete block/stucco but I don't
believe it is with wood. Washing is important. Paint the side not
exposed to sun, withing temp limits on label.