Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Its final..corn ethanol is of no use.

On 4/27/2014 9:19 AM, jim wrote:

In the future, market forces will win out and motor
fuel will all be around 25% ethanol. And that fuel will
deliver better mileage than straight gasoline. The EPA
and oil companies are hoping for some miracle to arrive to
change that destiny. But there is no miracle.

I make no such claims of prsecience other than that imo it'll mostly be
direction in national energy policy that is the driver over purely
market forces, or stated slightly different it will be policy that will
drive the market.

And, it won't be the fuel, per se, that delivers better mileage as the
fact of the matter remains that there's a lower energy density so it
will be improved efficiency in the the use thereof that will deliver any
increase seen, if any, not the fuel.

It's possible we'll see the acceptance of such advanced concepts as you
pointed to before but I've my doubts they'll prove to be feasible and
widely accepted, at least any time in the near future, just as Chrysler
had difficulties some 50 yr ago the added complexity generally comes at
a cost of reliability and increased costs which oftentimes fails in the
marketplace of competition. The CAFE rules will predominate, however,
in how they're manipulated.