Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
robobass robobass is offline

Default Help - I broke my lathe!

I doubt the carriage was ever readjusted after leaving the factory. The guy from whom I got the machine (see, I'm making an effort mit mein Englisch!) used it for brake work on ancient cars and motorbikes. He says he never used the powerfeed at all. He was certainly no machine geek. I doubt he kept up on maintenance, but carriage travel was smooth before the accident. So yes, My first job will be popping the carriage and checking underneath. The ways have some dings, but nothing major, and I'm truly not worried about the leadscrew. There is light between it and the halfnuts, rack, and gear all along the travel path.
Thanks!