Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
News News is offline

Default Memory

In message , Bill Wright
writes

Finally she asked, "But how much memory did it have?"

grin You sound like an older father, although perhaps Katie is your
Granddaughter. My son has just turned 13, and I'll be 62 shortly. I do
try to complete his education, explaining what life was like pre
mobiles, computers, game machines, tablets etc. All sorts of stuff -
our first black and white TV, with two channels and very little TV for
children, our first phone tied to the wall with a cable, our 'wireless',
first fridge all of which arrived in my lifetime. His Grandma (and
mine) operating the mangle every Monday, deliveries of milk, bread,
paraffin, no central heating, clockwork toys, my first wind up
gramophone, 45s, 78s, LPs, reel to reel, my first CD, cassette tapes,
Walkman, Commodore 64, Atari etc. Things that arrived during my
lifetime, yet were gone by his. Pirate radio. Trying to explain that
there was no Radio 1, no local stations, no TOTP, no YouTube. Just
David Jacobs :-) Highlights of the week including Ready Steady Go,
Thank Your Lucky Stars (Oi'll give it foive!), Juke Box Jury.

The impact of Elvis and The Beatles. Luckily, he hears me playing
golden oldies, is used to us having an open fire, drives my Minor in the
garden, eats with us at the table in the dining room and plays with my
tinplate trains. He even enjoys traditional board games at Christmas.
He doesn't like Meccano, though.

The other side of the coin, of course, is that he keeps me up to date
with what his generation loves. Funny thing is, although he and his
friends will spend hours in front of a screen, they also do so much that
I did, 50 years ago. Out on their bikes, messing about by the river,
building dens and dams. What really delighted me, when he first
started school, and understood humour, was the jokes. He and his
friends were laughing at *exactly* the same jokes as amused me at that
age. He also adored the same cartoons, like Huck Hound and Yogi Bear.
The difference was we saw them once a week on B&W TV - he watched them
constantly, in colour, via DVD. Oh well ...
--
Graeme