Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hrhofmann@sbcglobal.net is offline

Default holes from old mortice lock mean I can't fit a new one....

On Sunday, April 27, 2014 9:56:34 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi there The mortice lock in my wooden door is a 2 lever with a handle attached. I want to put in a 5 lever one. No problem with the actual fitting, however the screw holes are in different places meaning I can't screw in the new one because there is nothing to screw into. How can I resolve this? thanks Denise

Sawdust mixed with epoxy will set up in a couple of hours using quick-setting epoxy. You can also use sawdust mixed with "Elmers Glue, or a similatr white glue. That will take 24 houres to set up. The sawdust/epoxy is the best. Even using quick-setting epoxy, wait 4x their recommended times just to ensure it is really set up. The sawdust makes it easier to cut later on, and also helps the mixture to hold its shape while setting up. This is a good wood-filling idea where you don't care aboutr the appearance too much. Of course, aftrer setting up, you sand and paint the final product.