nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray[_15_] View Post
About 10 years ago we had our floors -- some hardwood some pine -- finished
with polyurethane.

They are beginning to get dull. Could I just give the floors a light
sanding, then put on one or more new coats?

I'm not sure whether oil or water-based polyurethane was used initially.
Does it matter in terms of the new coat?
I don't know the answers to the two questions you posed, but there are companies that make floor maintenance equipment to do the sanding of the polyurethane. Take a look at this web page:

Woodpecker the dustless floor sander. Use it with weights and vacuum

Centaur is probably one of the biggest Canadian companies making janitorial equipment. One of the floor machines they make is the "Woodpecker" which is basically a standard Centaur Rabbit III floor machine that connects to a vaccuum cleaner so that the machine sands the polyurethane down and vaccuums up the dust at the same time.

What I'd suggest is to phone around to the places listed under "Janitorial Equipment & Supplies" in your yellow pages phone directory and find out who in your area sells either Centaur products or any similar floor machine made for maintaining polyurethaned wood gymnasium floors.

Generally, the labour rates in the Janitorial Service sector of the economy are quite low, typically being no more than minimum wage. If you can find any janitorial company that has a Centaur Woodpecker or similar wood floor maintenance machine, they would probably sand down your floor for a very attractive price.