Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertMacy RobertMacy is offline

Default Moldy smell - lingers for two weeks now in dry tile bathroom -where is it coming from?

On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 09:07:25 -0700, Danny D. wrote:

Living in Silicon Valley, it's hard to get mold since it's so
sunny and dry most of the time.

..snip...to keep Aioe happy

WRONG! Lived in SV for 30 years and totally fought mold all the time.
Especially in the watered lawn. The California soil is alkaline and has a
preference for mold. Couple that with living in San Jose at the 'end' of
the water supply run and we had absolutely no discernible chlorine in our
water by the time it got to us. So....periodically we had to bleach the
inside of our toilet tanks to purge the slime mold. It looks like a clear
jelly if allowed to grow enough. When not enough to see the jelly, it
simply feels 'slick', thus the name, 'slime' mold. Has a distinctive musty
smell, like a damp basement. Best defense, is a bleach scrub down. And
rewash the towels with heavy bleach. In other words, "IT'S ALIVE!"