Carlo Robazza

Default Delta Midi Lathe, Any Good

Hi there,

I originally bought the Delta Midi as my first lathe and was quite happy
with it... for a while. It turned out that I had a bad spindle; the threads
seemed to be cut off centre so when a faceplate or chuck was installed, it
wobbled. This was fixed for free by Delta since it was still under the
warranty. I also had to buy some new handles because the plastic tailstock
handle broke.

I just recently won a Jet Mini and having them side by side really shows the
quality advantage the Jet has over the Delta.
- it's quieter
- the handles are all metal
- it's much smoother running
- it has a better faceplate
- quality of the spindle seems much better
- the spur center is much nicer

Having said that, I much prefer the location of the power switch and the
ease of switching speeds on the Delta. Had I had the money (Jet was more
expensive) and known the differences between the two machines, I would have
originally bought the Jet. It's similar to buying a new Honda Accord and
having no complaints about it until you drive a Lexus for a while.

Hope this helps,

Carlo.

"Let's go Yankees We got Godzilla!!!" wrote in message
I am in the research phase of my latheing experience and would
appreciate any opinions of the Delta Midi Lathe that I am considering.
I plan to turn mostly bowls and small spindles and would this lathe fit
my needs. Your input is appreciated.

STEMO