Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default OTish. New design Internal Combustion Engine

On 25/04/2014 16:43, Tim Streater wrote:
Should water/electricity etc be metered? I'd say yes as it discourages
waste. Of course you then have the cost of metering it. But since we
are human beings who are inherently lazy, too lazy to spend time on
minimising usage if they don't have to or they are teenagers, I'd say
that is the lesser evil.

If electricity were free (that is, you might pay some sort of standing
charge for the infrastructure to deliver it, but that charge is
independent of usage), how much would usage increase?

People leaving heating on and opening windows to cool down?

A/C cooling unoccupied rooms 24/7?

Gardens bathed in light all night?

Greenhouses with intense growlights (as appropriate for whatever crop is
being grown)?

Dishwashers run for a single cup and teaspoon?

Everyone charging up their electric vehicles at every opportunity?
(Surely would be a big impetus towards electric vehicles of some sort.)

Stills to make ultra-soft water?

We are generally aware of the heat island effects of cities. How far
would they go with free electricity?

--
Rod