Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default fix shed roof that's hard to reach

Oren wrote:
On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 19:19:40 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Oren wrote:
On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 11:28:02 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

On Friday, April 25, 2014 2:03:33 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 4/25/2014 12:48 PM, TimR wrote:

Much depends on "how steep is 'steep'" and what the ground makeup is and

such. Generally one would be able to use a longer ladder, make a couple

little landing places for the feets and tie it off to prevent it moving

out from the house and thus, down the slope.

In severe cases, one may drive stakes or the like...in really, really

So basically build someplace for the ladder to rest, and of course tie
it off. Yeah, that makes sense.

I'd hire a "ladder monkey"

Station the ladder, drive some rebar in the ground and secure the legs
of the ladder to it. It the ladder is slanted in one direction add a
block of wood under the leg and then secure the rebar and legs.

The block of wood to level the ladder would need a secure place to be
positioned. If there is no place to securely position the legs of the
ladder, then there is no place to securely position the block of wood.
Since it sounds like some type of landing spot needs to be built anyway,
I'd make sure the landing spot was level in the first place.

My best ladder has a leg extender -adjustable.

http://www.littlegiantladder.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/2/12106-leg-leveler-on-ladder_1.png

Or is the landing spot where you fall and end up?

If the slope it too steep, even your extender won't help. I believe that
that is the whole issue that the OP is having. Picture a shed on the very
edge of a sheer cliff. Where are you going to put the legs of the ladder if
you need to work on the side of the shed near the cliff?

You'd need to build a platform into the side of the cliff so the ladder
would have a place to land. Of course, you would need a ladder to build the
platform to hold the ladder to fix the shed.

Chicken...Egg. Egg...Chicken