Greg Kulibert

Default What glue is best to use for segmented turning?

Abe's question is something that puzzled me also.
I remember reading articles about biscuit jointing where the glue from the
biscuit swelled the wood and then it was quickly sanded. When the water from
the glue left the wood shrank back down and was then uneven in the glued
area.

So that gives us three options
Glue creep
wood movement due to moisture changes with time - seasonal movement- in
particular different movements with different kinds of wood
wood movement due to drying out after and excessive mositure change due to
glue.

If it's due to swelling due to glue and then shrinkage this should only
happen once and then could be avoided by allowing the glue joints to dry
for a few weeks before final turning or sanding.
Any other opinions/solutions/data??

Greg in Oshkosh

"Abe" wrote in message
. net...
In article , says...

But will such testing tell you:

* Ability to hold up to whatever contents the form will have? For
example, if you make salad bowls, will they stand up to oil and
vinegar?

* Will the glue line "creep" with time? Titebond often, over time,
leaves a ridge at the seam that you can feel with your fingers.

What causes this -- movement of the glue itself or movement of the wood
around the joint (caused by seasonal humidity fluctuation or whatever)?

Abe