Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes[_5_] Rick Hughes[_5_] is offline

Default OTish. New design Internal Combustion Engine

On 23/04/2014 14:36, Nightjar wrote:

One thing I noticed is that it has a single, asymmetric counterbalance
weight, which must make it inherently unbalanced.
Colin Bignell

However it runs with almost zero vibration ... so they must have fixed
that ....... watch the coin balance on the vid on main page ...
http://www.dukeengines.com/

The big advantage I think they have on balance is that the con rods only
move off line by 3% ....

" An almost perfectly sinusoidal piston motion leads to a near absence
of secondary and higher-order unbalanced piston/conrod forces.

• Counter-rotating cylinder groups and crankshart provide cancellation
of torque reactions and gyroscopic forces during engine speed
flutuations and vehicle maneuvers. " (sp)

Maybe it will never be adopted, I had a rotary engine in my RX8 ....
fantastic piece of engineering, so small so powerful, incredible rev
range, just just not taken off with anybody other than Mazda.