Posted to alt.home.repair
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Using weed killer

"MLD" wrote in message ...

"KenK" wrote in message

I picked up a container of Ortho 'Weed B Gon' to control some weeds
around
my property.

First I tried it out on a few isolated smaller ones to see how it worked.
squirted them a few days ago. They still seem to be healthy though a
couple
have a few shriveled leaves. I had expected them to be totally dead in a
day or so.

What am I doing wrong? Any guesses? Maybe it takes longer to affect them?
You have to really soak them?

There is little info on the bottle and that is mostly warnings.

TIA

They should die, but it doesn't happen right away

It does take several days. But I don't know what variety was used. If
something like Spot Shot, it isn't very effective. Yes, it will kill the
weeds that you see but in the meantime they may have reseeded. Spot killing
like this gives you no better results than if you were to dig up and dispose
of every weed that you see.

I know. I tried both of these methods when I lived in military housing. We
had a huge yard with woods alongside and the crappiest grass you've ever
seen. This was on Cape Cod so the types of grass grown there are not what I
was familiar with coming from Washington state. Whatever the grass was
nearest the house, would grow three feet high in a week! Normally I would
use Weed and Feed but I was afraid if I did that, I'd have huge bare spots.

Keep in mind that I didn't own this yard nor did I intend to stay there as
it was military housing. So I felt less need to keep it up like I would
with a rental or a house that I own.

I own this house. The yard is pretty small and I have a gardener. He uses
weed and feed and I never have any weeds whatever. I always worry because
the guy next door just hacks his weed/yard down at best, 2/3 times a year.
Nobody lives in that house. They are doing a remodel but it has been going
on for years with little being accomplished. We still never get weeds in
the lawn but we will get a few in the flower beds.