Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Streaming Netflix

On Thursday, April 24, 2014 6:17:15 PM UTC-4, Robert Green wrote:
"CRNG" wrote in message

stuff snipped

I live in a rural area and around here we consider a dial-tone to be a

miracle. In this state the utilities own the Public Utilities

Commission.

It's that way in almost every state. Here in the DC area Verizon is

actively working to convert all their dial tone/copper wire customers to

FIOS. I've told them repeatedly I don't want a phone line that can't

support a dial up modem, that isn't regulated by the public service

commission, that runs out of battery power in an emergency and that depends

on the stability of the Verizon computer network.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...Say-They-Felt-

Pressured-Into-Fios-235098041.html

http://tinyurl.com/n3xgwvp

I'm with you - the sound of a dial tone is a miracle. When all the

cellphones went out in the DC area on 9/11, the landlines kept on truckin'.

I assume that the VOIP service will crash pretty much the same way when

everyone gets on their phone in an emergency all at the same time. It's

really a public safety issue but since the PSC has been "captured" by the

companies they regulate they don't care. They're hastening the destruction

of the copper phone network that has demonstrated far greater overall

reliability than any of its replacement technologies. That's progress, I

guess. )-:

One good thing about being one of the last of the dinosaur dial-up guys is

that with the exodus of subscribers from copper phone lines, there's hardly

*ever* any crosstalk on the lines these says. The tech told me I had the

only dial tone on a 50 pair trunk cable. It's lonely at the top (and

bottom).

FWIW, the Feds probably want everyone to switch to VOIP so they can more

easily monitor everyone's phone conversations.

Give me that old time religion, give me that old time religion, give me that

old time religion, it's good enough for me!

--

Bobby G.

verizon FIOS ROTTEN SERVICE was by far the worst customer service of my life!!

TV hadnt rolled out in my area yet.....

The fios internet actually worked pretty good. But the phone was terrible, echoes, noise every 12 calls, I couldnt hear the caller. long difficult to manuver thru auto attendant, then the killer message. were sorry all reps are busy now please try your call again later, goodbye system hangs up, unfriendly reps who all blamed my interior wiring even though the first road tech remarked my accout, problem reproduced with house totally disconnected. while this mess was going on every few nights at dinner time reps would ring my doorbell trying to sell me tv, after sending them a registered letter to stop I had police escort them off my property. because I had 6 phone lines at one time I was getting multiple solicitation calls daily I was under contract for phone and internet, they said even though the phone didnt work reliably it was against company policy to let me out of contract.....

I still had one line on copper, my business line. One day I realized I NEVER called out on that line, so I called and cancelled the outgoing call package... saving 35 bucks a month, they cancelled my business service, They fixed it in a hour but the system burped and did it again a few days later, My line was out of service for 4 days, callers got the number you called is no longer in service, no futher info is available this cost me customers they thought I went out of business.

I canceled ALL verizon land service and ordered them to remove the copper and fibre drop and all equiptement! they finally agreed when I threatened them with a FIOS SUCKS BANNER on my home.

fios sucked for me......

oh the noise wasnt my home it was a bad card in the central office that effected everyone in my prefix

oh the backup battery failed at 6 months and verizon wanted to charge me 50 bucks for a new one. my fios box beeped alarm 24 / 7 for nearly a month. the phone reps didnt know how to turn off the alarm, I found the ilence alarm button when replacing the battery