Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Using weed killer

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 15:49:10 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

On 4/24/2014 2:05 PM, KenK wrote:
I picked up a container of Ortho 'Weed B Gon' to control some weeds around
my property.

First I tried it out on a few isolated smaller ones to see how it worked. I
squirted them a few days ago. They still seem to be healthy though a couple
have a few shriveled leaves. I had expected them to be totally dead in a
day or so.

What am I doing wrong? Any guesses? Maybe it takes longer to affect them?
You have to really soak them?

There is little info on the bottle and that is mostly warnings.

TIA

I've used WBG, both versions....regular and the one for St. Augustine.
I think it works miracles. In my present lawn, I used it last year,
mainly for dandelions, and there are very few of them this year.

Unless you are down south, it might be too cold yet for weeds to take up
the WBG.

For the powders or solid products, there's a mnemoic, EMIL.

Easter, bag I
Memorial day, bag II
Independance day, bag III
Labor day bag IV.

But bag 1 stuff just lies there until it's warm enough to work
And the schedule couldn't be correct for all latitudes.

The cherry trees reached their height iin DC two weeks ago last Tuesday,
and mind just started blooming two days ago (Tuesday) Only 45 miles
north, and a couple hundred feet more elevation.

Weeds (per package instr.) need to be actively growing and no
rain for a couple of days. It should not be used during hot, dry spells
because it can stress the lawn grass. When I used it on southern lawn
(St. A. grass), I would fertilize about a week before and water a day or
two previously.

If you mixed it, any chance you made it too dilute? I use hose-end
sprayer for appl. If weed have real waxy leaves, it might be better to
treat them individually with Roundup and a paint brush...tedious, but it
works.

For newbies, that's becaue Round-up kills or at least might kill
anything it touches. Or anything that grows in the dirt it touches, I
think.

After application all over the first time, all I needed to do was occ.
spot treatment. It takes at least 2 or 3 years (it can take a lot
longer) for already present weed seed to germinate, so you won't have a
permanent weed-free lawn from one appl. Proper watering and mowing
makes a huge difference on weed growth, and cutting too short is
encouraging weeds, especially in hot, dry weather.