Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Sawstop

On 4/24/2014 12:09 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Just such a shame that we have to put all this technology into a car and
overcomplicate/over expense things, simply to make life easier for stupid
people. I mean really - how hard has it ever been to look at a tire to see
if it needs a little checking? How hard is it to back up without turning
your head, or looking in three different mirrors? Next will come an alarm
for the idiots that aren't looking at the camera display in the dash and are
about to back over something.

Talk about fixing problems that don't really exist...

Ok - rant off...

Tell that to one of the many parents that backed up and killed their
kid. Happens a couple of hundred times a year.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/tipsan...1/03/backover/
http://www.kidsandcars.org/back-overs.html

Fact Sheet

In the U.S. at least fifty children are being backed over by vehicles
EVERY week. Forty-eight (48) are treated in hospital emergency rooms and
at least two (2) children are fatally injured every WEEK.

The predominant age of victims is one year olds. (1223 months)

Over 60% of backing up incidents involved a larger size vehicle.
(truck, van, SUV)

Tragically, in over 70% of these incidents, a parent or close relative
is behind the wheel.

The last car I owned that gave a good view of the rear was my '91 Regal.
Many cars give you no idea of what is behind the back glass. Most
SUV's have poor rear visibility.

My present car has a camera, as will every car I own in the future.
Unless you buy me a Lamborghini without one.

Oh, many low profile tires can be low on pressure and have little visual
impact. Not like the old fat tires that could drop 4" and fell kind of
mushy.