Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default GFCI wiring ...

RobertMacy wrote:
On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 08:27:50 -0700, wrote:

...snip...

The issue is hair dryers and the appliances that get hot in the
kitchen. They gobble up a 20a circuit pretty fast. Back in the olden
days when the bathroom receptacles just ran electric razors, you could
pretty much ignore that load. These days they sell hair dryers based
on how much power they use. (even if it is usually a lie)

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/1875w_hair_dryer.jpg

I remember the frustration when trying to buy a hair dryer. I asked 3 questions:
1. what is the exit air temperature?
2. what is the volumetric flow against, say, a 1 inch flat surface?
3. what is the dBA at my ears?

The answer I got was shown the label declaring 1500W hair dryer! and a blank stare.

As an attempt to make the salesperson understand, I pointed out that a
light bulb could use 1500W and never dry one's hair.

PS: never found the answers from ANY manufacturer. You'd think one would
want to dominate the market as THE expert.

How many people ask those questions? If any given manufacturer made that
information readily accessible do you really think their sales would sky
rocket?

How much?
What color?
How does it feel in my hand?

That's probably all that the huge majority of people care about.