Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default Streaming Netflix

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:13:37 AM UTC-7, rbowman wrote:
CRNG wrote:

+1 on that. Also, I've read that the streaming movie selection is

pathetic compared to the DVD selection. I assuming that NetFlix is

pushing streaming so it can get away from postage; but I would rather

pay more and keep the DVDs.

A couple of things lately have made me wonder if they're subtly pushing

people off DVDs. First, they moved their distribution center to Salt lake.

From where I live, that's two days for mail delivery. They do not appear to

work on Saturdays either, so for the most part no matter when I mail a DVD,

I'm not going to see a replacement until the Wednesday of next week. This is

close to the throttling that got them into trouble before.

More troubling, I've got about 50 titles on my queue currently with about

50% being short, long, or very long waits. One is 'unknown' and has been in

that status literally for years. Several of the long waits have been there

for months. Actually, the newer TV series seem to do better than the older

theatrical movies. What I really liked about Netflix was the ability to get

classic, foreign, and obscure DVDs. If they drop those in favor of new

releases, RedBox beckons.

Have left your msg in despite the hatchet-job folks, so I can respond by item.

My local mailing address is still local and is fast turnaround. Only time it's more is on weekend/holiday.

Roger your comment about "classic, foreign and obscure DVDs". That's basically what I want from Netflix, as I am NOT NOT NOT into contemporary pop films, few of which appeal outside the 13-24 year male action bang-bang no-story genres.

Can't speak to the po$tage factor, but might well BE a negative for Netflix.

ATC, Mayayana reflects my view: I am definitely NOT happy watchinng "any old thing".

He said:

"So I think it depends on what you watch. If you're
happy watching any old thing but like to see a lot of
TV, it will probably seem a very good deal. If you like
to see "art house" movies, good foreign movies, recent
*good* movies, movies that have won awards at
Sundance, etc, then I'm guessing you'd be very frustrated
with the streaming offerings. I find that I can get nearly
anything on the DVDs, but it seems that the way they
afford to give you an all-you-can-eat streaming menu
is because Hollywood only approves the dregs, which are
no longer making money elsewhere, to be streamed."

So I think conservative moi will stay with the red envelopes. After all, if it's that unbearable being w/o a DVD during a turnaround evg, I can always get a DVD from the Library.

Thanks again to all for input.

HB