Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFCI wiring ...

I have an in-panel 20A gfci breaker which will soon be wired to the
outlet

next to the sink in the bathroom . Later , when I add a kitchen ,
I'd like

to supply the outlets near the sink from the same breaker , and
here's the

question - Is it OK to run 2 branches from the same breaker as long
as I

don't exceed the max number of outlets ? I guess if it came right
down to it

I could wire the other outlets from the one in the bath , but that's
a waste

of copper IMO since I'd have to backtrack at least 15 ft .

--

Snag

you fail to realize that while someone, you or a future family could
be getting ready for work in the bathroom while another family member
is busy making breakfast. both going on at the same time can easily
trip a single breaker

Heh , the blow dryer is used here to fan the woodstove ... and I'm
retired .

In bathroom, a curling iron and hairdryer are being used, while in
the kitchen the coffe pot is doing its thing, the can opener is being
used, etc etc etc...

Just the 2 of us ... and if you catch my wife with a curling iron I want
pictures , it'll be a first .

now if you claim we dont live this way KNOW IN ADVANCE when you go to
sell your home this code breaking idea will be caught by any decent
home inspector...

This home won't be sold , we plan on living out our allotted days here -
might be a fight between the kids who gets it but by then we won't be here
so ... and you'd be surprised at what will fly around here . We are so
rural they have to pipe in daylight ...

so do it right, do it once, and forget about it.....

That's the plan , and why I'm asking .

GFCIs arent expensive! I prefer the ones in the outlet rather than
the breaker, easier to reset ....

True , I've replaced a couple in the camper .

if you are out of slots in your main panel add a sub panel or replace
your main panel

Brand new panel , new construction and I bought the biggest 200 amp box I
could afford that has copper bus bars - has room for like 40 breakers if I
use some slimline units . Should be enough for a 3 room shack . Oh , and I
do have a sub panel for the shop fed from the main panel . When the dust
settles and the wiring is in it's final configuration that sub will be fed
from a 60 amp breaker . Right now we're still on the temp pole , awaiting
the ground drying enough to get a truck in to move the service to the new
location .

*How about posting pictures of the job as it progresses so we can follow.
Also, almost every lighting and receptacle circuit will require arc fault
protection as per article 210.12(A). They will help reduce fires from loose
connections.