Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Spencer Mike Spencer is offline

Default Gasket making

Larry Jaques writes:

On 22 Apr 2014 00:51:01 -0300, Mike Spencer
wrote:

No. Cobbled up a steering lock and external throttle lever.
And replaced the whole thing with (a) Wisconsin 4, NFG, (b) flatbelt
drive from read end of an old truck (NFG, oscillating load is all
wrong for flatbelt) and (c) Diesel, which works fine.

Magnets on flywheel and bicycle speedo sensor calibrated to be a tach
as the engine tach is unreliable.

Sounds as if you've been at this for a long while.

Installed 2003. Expected to be running 2004. In my semi-retired,
too-laid-back and low-budget way, it was 2012 before it ran properly,
So yes.

Built a portable forge with 4 tuyere holes so's to be able to take a
longer heat (i.e. more length hot at once), design a variant of one
developed by the late Gerry Levy. Installed a jib crane (no pics yet)
so's to be able to hold a heavy work piece with one hand and a top
tool with the other. Working on bolt-on or clamp-on die mods.
Actually forge something Real Soon Now. ;-)

This decade, eh?

Maybe even this *year*! ;-)

Further ObMetalworking: I swapped a working 100# mechanical hammer:

http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/old-hammer.html

That's more the size I've seen. When I lived in Vista, California, I
used to visit the Antique Steam and Gas Engine Museum. I think their
big one was 50#, and you could feel it in your bones when it worked.
It was a mechanical, working from a steam-driven communal shaft.

Thre are lots of 25#, 50# and 100# hammers out there in use. Some
mechanical 250#, but once you get to that size, if you have a
prosperous business with crdit and cash flow, whether industrial or
artistic, a modern self-contained airhammer is way better than the
behemoth oldtimers such as mine. Much, much better for ornamental
free-hand forgings.

Yeah, I can't imagine working on something which needed a 300# hammah.
Oh, my aching back...

Why the jib crane.

Well done! Carry on.

Tnx. Will do. :-)