Juergen

Default Norm Turned a Bowl Saturday

Ruth

"I don't think any newbie should be allowed in his shop alone for the
first 3 months."

If this statement were true most of the turners I know would be knitting
now.

Juergen

Ruth wrote:

Peter wrote responding to Leo: ....snip.... "In fact, I really don't see
how anyone can turn WITHOUT being in the throw zone."
************************
After looking through my books, 2 videos and remembering all the demos I
saw at shows, I have to agree with Peter here.

This thread and the other about "I'm confused" is bordering on saying:
"Newbies are stupid and have no common sense, we must treat them like 5
yr. olds."

Yes, safety is important.
Yes, safety should, must be expressed.
Yes, ALL machines are potentially dangerous.
Yes, grown men have had "accidents".

But to be perfectly "SAFE" the turner should:
*wear a shield
*wear a respirator
*wear ear protection
*wear a leather shop apron
*wear steal-tipped shoes
(all of the above, not one out of the 5)
*have an exhaust system on the lathe
*never stand in front of the lathe
*never use a tool for other than its "name" designates
*never try anything that hasn't been approved by "professionals"

How many of you have seen even two of these "safety" things used by the
demonstrators at the AAW Symposia?
Club demos?

Yes, we have a responsibility to express potential dangers with various
techniques, machines, finishes, tools, etc., but we are dealing with
thinking adults, aren't we? Then again, I guess it's the way of the
world today, everyone else is responsible for what a man does.

I don't think any newbie should be allowed in his shop alone for the
first 3 months.

I'm beginning to feel I'm not qualified to turn or talk about it. I
stand in the wrong place, use the wrong tools for the wrong job, don't
wear all the necessary protection all the time, don't tell people who
might be allergic to bee stings that I use beeswax on bowls.

Sorry about the rant......actually I guess I'm not really sorry if I hit
the "send" button, right?

Ruth

Woodturners Logo
My shop and Turnings at