Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gasket making

On 22 Apr 2014 00:51:01 -0300, Mike Spencer
wrote:

Larry Jaques writes:

On 21 Apr 2014 23:31:06 -0300, Mike Spencer
wrote:
http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/shop/alldays.html

crack: Some mother's idiot stepchild got impatient. Pity!
Did you braze it up and fit another spring valve on it?

Left the crack alone. Seems OK. Yes, fitted a new reed (from old
flat bedspring) where one was missing, cleaned the existing one.

Not for the faint of heart:

http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/shop/AO-power.html

Stupendous crash pics yet?

No. Cobbled up a steering lock and external throttle lever.
And replaced the whole thing with (a) Wisconsin 4, NFG, (b) flatbelt
drive from read end of an old truck (NFG, oscillating load is all
wrong for flatbelt) and (c) Diesel, which works fine.

Magnets on flywheel and bicycle speedo sensor calibrated to be a tach
as the engine tach is unreliable.

Sounds as if you've been at this for a long while.

Diesel power:

http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/sh...z-alldays.html

There you go!

Hey, she dresses up nicely. Too bad you couldn't extend the rails for
the hammer and pop the Deutz up on those, in-line with the hammah.

Didn't realize the possibility when the concrete was poured and the
(wooden) rails installed.

Then again, it may not have worked as well in the opposite rotation.

Do you have rails into the yard, so you can accept rail cars full of
coal for the forge to heat large chunks of iron to use in the hammer?

Hah! No. I have 2 or 3 tons of coal on hand, my eye on a couple of
tons of coke that will need to be crushed some. Actually, it's a
bummer that there's never been a siding anywhere near me with a
drive-under hopper car unloader. A carload of coal would have had to
come to a siding in a gondola car and be unloaded by hand. Now they've
torn op the tracks and there's no rail head closer than 70 miles.

Yeah, too bad. I think I'd rather buy a dump truck full than to hand
shovel tons of it at a time.

Built a portable forge with 4 tuyere holes so's to be able to take a
longer heat (i.e. more length hot at once), design a variant of one
developed by the late Gerry Levy. Installed a jib crane (no pics yet)
so's to be able to hold a heavy work piece with one hand and a top
tool with the other. Working on bolt-on or clamp-on die mods.
Actually forge something Real Soon Now. ;-)

This decade, eh?

Further ObMetalworking: I swapped a working 100# mechanical hammer:

http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/old-hammer.html

That's more the size I've seen. When I lived in Vista, California, I
used to visit the Antique Steam and Gas Engine Museum. I think their
big one was 50#, and you could feel it in your bones when it worked.
It was a mechanical, working from a steam-driven communal shaft. Coal
is bad, but coke is something I'm glad I don't smell all the time. I'd
make a lousy blacksmith, what with my pure lungs and all.

with which I made a lot of anchors, graplins and assorted stuff for
the non-working 300# A&O. I have a 25# Jardine -- Canadian knock-off
of Little Giant -- that has less gumpties than the #100 Palmer but is
more versatile.

Yeah, I can't imagine working on something which needed a 300# hammah.
Oh, my aching back...

Well done! Carry on.

--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;