Posted to alt.electronics
Daniel[_4_] Daniel[_4_] is offline

Default Plasma ball return path?

On 22/04/14 04:23, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 12:09:01 +0100, Daniel
wrote:

On 21/04/14 05:05, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Sun, 20 Apr 2014 12:06:07 +0100, Daniel
wrote:

On 19/04/14 10:08, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 00:33:05 +0100, Rheilly Phoull
wrote:

On 18/04/14 20:44, Uncle Peter wrote:

Yeah, you're right. We were lying. It's actually done with magic but
don't tell anyone.

Which part of the HV generator isn't grounded. It runs off an
isolated
12V stepdown
transformer didn't you believe?

At the very least, the secondary of the transformer must have two ends
... one connects to the central spike inside the ball and the other end
*must* connect somewhere .... maybe to the iron former of the
transformer itself or, maybe, to some circuit board.

In any case, the primary winding *must* return to the mains supply some
how!!

Wall wart 240VAC to 12VAC. Connected to this is a bridge rectifier with
a smoothing capacitor. Connected to that is a hidden circuit, with ONE
output wire, to the spike in the ball.

Did you not read this line, Peter, ...."one connects to the central
spike inside the ball and the other end *must* connect somewhere"

For current flow, *there must be two connections* !! Just because you
cannot determine where it is doesn't mean it doesn't exist!!

Which is what I first thought, then someone else said it was
capacitive. It most certainly does NOT exist. I can clearly see a
sealed unit with three wires coming from it. Two are the 15VDC supply
wires, the other goes to the centre of the discharge tube.

If it is capacitive, it is capacitive. Did you read where I mentioned
you shoe acting as the dielectric of a capacitor??

Alternatively, the three leads out of your box could be...
1. the high tension lead,
2. the power supplies (low) voltage lead, and,
3. the common (earth) rail used by both the high tension supply and the
low tension supply!!

Daniel