Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B.[_3_] John B.[_3_] is offline

Default $2 garage sale oxy-acetylene cutting torch

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 15:08:54 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 8:23:05 PM UTC-5, Clare wrote:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 06:45:26 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:

No seals in danger of burning here. Any fuel content of markings from magic marker would probably be negligible, but I agree to keeping the mating surfaces clean.

well, I went ahead and cleaned the surfaces. I ran the the back of the tip
on fine sandpaper to romove the high spots and brushed the brass part of
the torch clean. The sharpie test shows what seems to be a good enough
seal now.

Setting the oxygen to just over 20psi did really help. I was able to slice
up some steel plate about 3/4" thick. Teh torch did backfire (if that's
what t the loud pop followed by the flame going out is) a few times, but
only when shutting off the oxygen before turning the torch off. Does this
indicate a problem may still be present?

If you turn the gas off first it is usual that the torch will pop. If
you turn the oxygen off first you get a large orange, smoky flame :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.