Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.home.repair
ehsjr[_4_] ehsjr[_4_] is offline

Default Flickering Ceiling Lights

On 4/21/2014 8:46 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
"ehsjr" wrote in message ...
On 4/19/2014 11:12 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
Well, the lights started flickering again. In attached, CB 1 & 3 are a signal unit - tandem I think is the term. I removed them, cleaned all the contacts and checked all the wiring connections and all are fine. After that, no flickering for a few weeks. Now it started again this week. Connections are still tight.

No other devices are flickering. Wind doesn't make any difference, so it sounds to me like it's in the CB 1& 3 circuit. The ceiling light/fan in slot #8 doesn't flicker, nor do any lamps plugged into receptacles.

Any other ideas what might be the problem before I go out and buy a new CB?

Thanks fellers!

Bob

You have this:

Phase A hot ---CB----+---+--}}}---+
| | |
CL CL CL
| | |
Neutral -------------+---+--}}}---+
| | |
CL Cl Cl
| | |
Phase B hot ---CB----+---+--}}}---+

(CL = Ceiling Light, CB = circuit breaker. Switches omitted
for clarity.)

It's a shared neutral circuit, and is allowed by the USA
National electrical code.

Your symptom strongly suggests a loose connection in
the neutral path.

Ed

Thanks, Ed. That sounds reasonable to me. I'll check it out. All the flickering is on Phase A lights & receptacles. They all flicker at the same time. I called the power company today and they will send someone out this week to check the line up to the CP panel.

Bob,

With the flickering happening only on lights connected to
phase A it is less likely to be a loose neutral connection.

Ed