Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Farber David Farber is offline

Default BSOD, bulging caps, on Gateway GT5056

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
David Farber wrote:

I had to use my Weller 100/140 watt gun to generate enough heat to get
the
capacitors out. Even with flux and SnPb solder it was a chore. The
results
were, one was 1.3 ohms and the remaining four measured from 4.7 to 5.0
ohms. I will order the replacements and report back.

Yup, highly likely replacing them will fix the computer.
Be sure to get high-temp, low ESR caps for the replacement.
A lot of pwople are selling totally pedestrian caps as
low-ESR on eBay and such, but they are actually junk,
and not suitable. If the machine works with them, it won't
last long. The proper units are available from Digi-Key
for under $2 each. You just have to scan for the low ESR
rating.

Jon

Hi Jon,

I ordered from Digi-Key. Their part number is, 493-1467-ND.

The caps are rated at 6,000 hours, @ 105 degrees. Ripple current is 840 mA.
The impedance is 87 mOhm.

There were other choices with lower impedances but they were rated at
shorter lifetimes.

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber