Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gasket making

On 21 Apr 2014 23:31:06 -0300, Mike Spencer
wrote:

Larry Jaques writes:

On 20 Apr 2014 00:46:52 -0300, Mike Spencer
wrote:
I remember the old amber/red (mercurochrome-looking) stuff which
hardened andwas a royal bitch to remove. Lord, I hated that stuff.

HiTack was the happy solution to that horror. :-)

Was HiTack the stuff which looked like liquid bluing that had gelled?

No. Spray can, candy-apple red. We used to call it "candy-apple
stickum" in contrast to "dog ****" (brown paste in a tube) and "liquid
dog ****" (drooly brown goo in a can with a brush. The latter two had
the tenacity of something you'd stepped in in the street, hence the
name.

We used to use 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive, aka Elephant Snot, on
rocker cover gaskets, with grease betwixt the cork/rubber/fiber gasket
and the head. It gets its name is from its texture, as it's a nice
bright yellow and is drippygooeystinky.

If so, I remember it. I think it was the very first silicone gasket
sealer on the market.

My boss has a single tube of blue goo that he would only let us use if
nothing else worked. Something he's brought home from England where he
worked on aircraft for a couple of years sometime after WW II. Not
available in Leftpondia. I forget the name.

Because more recently, a few years ago, I had to seal a problem
settling bowl on a Wisconsin air-cooled. Leaked like a sieve.
Experiments showed that gasoline quickly dissolves and cleans off
HiTack very well. New can from store, same. New can sent directly
from Permatex, same.

Is it new gas additives/composition? Changes in the product that even
the engineer at Permatex didn't know about? My memory has a huge hole
in it?

Yes, most likely. It's probably being dissolved by the alcohol in the
fuel, and maybe even some of the new, highly-toxic additives. None of
that was around way-back-when.

Huh. Pits. Sic transit gloria candy-apple-stickum.

Yeah, sorta rings a bell, but it was expensive, wasn't it? I think
that's why I don't remember using it much. No tengo mucho dinero!

ObMetalworking: The Wisconsin was intended to drive a 300# air hammer
but turned out not to be big enough. A 3-cyl Deutz diesel *is* big
enough.

Pictures, man! Pictures!

Getting started:

http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/shop/alldays.html

crack: Some mother's idiot stepchild got impatient. Pity!
Did you braze it up and fit another spring valve on it?

Not for the faint of heart:

http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/shop/AO-power.html

Stupendous crash pics yet?

Diesel power:

http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/sh...z-alldays.html

There you go!

Hey, she dresses up nicely. Too bad you couldn't extend the rails for
the hammer and pop the Deutz up on those, in-line with the hammah.

Do you have rails into the yard, so you can accept rail cars full of
coal for the forge to heat large chunks of iron to use in the hammer?

--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.