Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Spencer Mike Spencer is offline

Default Gasket making

Larry Jaques writes:

On 20 Apr 2014 00:46:52 -0300, Mike Spencer
wrote:
I remember the old amber/red (mercurochrome-looking) stuff which
hardened andwas a royal bitch to remove. Lord, I hated that stuff.

HiTack was the happy solution to that horror. :-)

Was HiTack the stuff which looked like liquid bluing that had gelled?

No. Spray can, candy-apple red. We used to call it "candy-apple
stickum" in contrast to "dog ****" (brown paste in a tube) and "liquid
dog ****" (drooly brown goo in a can with a brush. The latter two had
the tenacity of something you'd stepped in in the street, hence the
name.

If so, I remember it. I think it was the very first silicone gasket
sealer on the market.

My boss has a single tube of blue goo that he would only let us use if
nothing else worked. Something he's brought home from England where he
worked on aircraft for a couple of years sometime after WW II. Not
available in Leftpondia. I forget the name.

Because more recently, a few years ago, I had to seal a problem
settling bowl on a Wisconsin air-cooled. Leaked like a sieve.
Experiments showed that gasoline quickly dissolves and cleans off
HiTack very well. New can from store, same. New can sent directly
from Permatex, same.

Is it new gas additives/composition? Changes in the product that even
the engineer at Permatex didn't know about? My memory has a huge hole
in it?

Yes, most likely. It's probably being dissolved by the alcohol in the
fuel, and maybe even some of the new, highly-toxic additives. None of
that was around way-back-when.

Huh. Pits. Sic transit gloria candy-apple-stickum.

ObMetalworking: The Wisconsin was intended to drive a 300# air hammer
but turned out not to be big enough. A 3-cyl Deutz diesel *is* big
enough.

Pictures, man! Pictures!

Getting started:

http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/shop/alldays.html