Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Bill is offline

Default Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

In message , ARW
writes

http://s117.photobucket.com/user/G8IAY/media/rbo_zpsc9d77b32.jpg.html

All thoughts, comments etc. most welcomed, what ever they maybe.

CONGRATULATIONS

It looks rather neat inside the CU and DIN rail box.

Thank you, I was dreading your comments!! :-)

Much neater than the cows **** of a job I did on my parents Starbreaker
CU yesterday morning when I fitted a couple of RCBOs and an MCB in 10
minutes before ****ing off to the pub at 11am and going out on an all
day bender in Bridlington.

Having looked at just replacing the MCBs with RCBOs and no DIN box
interface I can imagine your problems, I tried just one and didn't even
bother with that, yes it would/may have, fitted, but there would have
been no space left for any wires as it is it is a bit tight, but
manageable.

You asked for comments. I have only one.

The DIN box and CU need to be IP4X rated.

Did the cables originally run behind some sort of boxing in? Did your
reference "put to bed" mean that you have now replaced the front of
this boxing in and hidden the cables?. The boxing in may provide the
IP4X rating for the DIN box and CU. If not then it is only a small job
to meet that requirement.

As you commented on later, apart from the front of the CU, everything
else is behind a wooden panel. That is all I need to tidy up, it sort
of matured with age and has two different levels, so when I find my
round tuit I will move the transfer switch forward to be on the same
level as the CU and redo the panel into a few removable sections to
allow access but all as one flat surface. There is a burglar alarm
control box and a reset switch for the smoke alarms mounted there too,
esthetically it could do with a tidy up.

Thank you for posting the photo. It just goes to prove that DIYers can
do a good job.

We try :-)

--
Bill