Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default ROHS and irons and desoldering tools

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 01:33:50 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Agreed. Unleaded solder is difficult to work with. I have up long
ago and use 63/37 Pb/Sn for rework. The only catch is that I have
suck up the Unleaded solder before applying the Pb/Sn solder. It's an
antique, but it does the job:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/pac...ng-station.jpg

I have almost the same model, but it isn't hot enough for ROHS even at full
power. I thought that was just because of the metal. The tip hasn't seen
much use so maybe something else is going.

Well, I must confess that for leaded components, I usually remove the
bulk of the unleaded solder with a solder sucker:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=solder+sucker
and then clean out the holes with the Pace desoldering station. I have
to turn up the heat control to maximum, and use fairly low vacuum to
prevent the air flow from cooling the tip. Maybe you're moving too
much air?

For SMT, I can't easily use the Pace desoldering station, so I use a
hot air SMT desoldering station (with an aluminum foil shield) to
remove the parts and accumulated solder.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D