Peter Teubel

Default Norm Turned a Bowl Saturday

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:13:58 GMT, "Leo Lichtman" wrote:

Peter Teubel wrote: (clip) Everyone does it their own way. There is no
absolute right or wrong way. Personally, I'm always in the "throw
zone"...sometimes inches from the wood to do detail work (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^
That's fine for you, Peter, and I'm sure every one of us does things which
could be considered unsafe from time to time. But remember, Norm is up
there as a teacher/demonstrator/roll model. He always pefaces his
demonstrations with a brief lecture on safety, particularly of eye
protection. For him to engage in a practice that is less than safe, for the
edification of the general public, including beginners, and particularly
youngsters, with no evident awareness of the consequences, is worthy of
criticism. (That sentence should be rewritten, but I'll just pretend I'm
imitating William Buckley.)

I must disagree with you, Leo. I have that episode on tape and after viewing it I (personally) feel that he was doing nothing
grossly "unsafe". Grossly inefficient, yes...but not unsafe. Lots of people turn...AND TEACH...that way. IMO, to be afraid (not
just respectful) of the throw zone is to limit one's self from alot of great cutting techniques. In fact, I really don't see how
anyone can turn WITHOUT being in the throw zone.

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com