Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default BSOD, bulging caps, on Gateway GT5056

On Saturday, April 19, 2014 9:18:06 PM UTC-7, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
snip

replacements. Panasonic are good.

snip

Panasonic has caps that are good but also has ones that are useless for motherboards. We bought a used VTR that had all the caps replaced. The tech used Panasonic NHG. These are rated for 105C but the ripple current is less than 1/3 of the FM/FR series.

The thing that really got me was the Digikey price. The lousy caps were $80/1000 while the excellent caps were only $85/1000. Why would anybody buy the junk for repairs? Someone asked me about prices of the caps and is it important. I told them that on a good day I might use $20 in caps which is a small fraction of what I'm paid. If I'm worth it so are the caps.