Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT. Windows 8 nearly drove me insane

On 2014-04-20, John Williamson wrote:

Shrug I'm not so much fed up of restoring the boot sector, that takes
a few seconds with a boot CD. What ****es me off is that Linux doesn't
work for me, and never has except for the most basic functions. For
example, I am using the same mail folders and news folders for
Thunderbird on both Mint and XP, and can use either with no problems,
and even keep track of read articles when I switch platforms. Similarly,
with documents, Libre Office works in exactly the same way on both
platforms. Then I connect a video camera and try to edit some video, or
connect the USB soundcard, and it doesn't work. It works with the stills
as long as I save them as jpegs in camera, but last time I fired the
GIMP up, it choked on the RAW format files from the camera as the camera
is too new to be supported.

None of this is anything to do with Linux, per se.

I know that Linux is just the kernel, and what I am using is GNU, and
the kernel is nice and stable...

In the same way, most people don't differentiate between the kernel and
the UI in Windows or OS X.

Oh, and I quite happily edit videos with Linux - I bought a Firewire
card, 99p on eBay, plug in my camera & copy the video off it. I also
have a GoPro, which I just copy the MP4 files from. I have a choice
of editors. It all "just worked".

Once it's in there, it does "just work". The problem I have is actually
getting the stuff onto the computer in the first place.

I can record sound and video on a standalone recorder and copy the files
by (sometimes) connecting the recorder or (Almost always when using
removable media), but that's not always the way I need to work.

I have seen a question in a forum asking how to transfer RAW files from
a camera of the same make as mine. The answer was to install the UFRAW
plugin, and all will be well. I get "Unsupported file format", even with
the latest version. Apparently, my camera is too new as of a couple of
months ago, so it's not yet supported. It works on the older camera I
have, but that has died due to a known hardware design fault, and is,
effectively, unrepairable.

As for editing raw stills, I don't do that, but I get 9,000,000 hits for
a Google search for "Linux raw graphics".

I conclude that the error is between keyboard and chair.

Conclude all you like. Linux is good for some jobs, and totally useless
for what I want to do.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.