Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cursitor Doom[_2_] Cursitor Doom[_2_] is offline

Default OT. Windows 8 nearly drove me insane

On Sun, 20 Apr 2014 11:42:53 +0100, Adrian C
wrote:

Some distributions of Linux already have appropriate drivers preloaded,
just need to choose the right one - or understand how to compile them in
(or create as modules) from source. Then you can be happy using any
distribution.

Just takes a bit of googling with the hardware IDs (lspci, lsusb) of the
equipment you have, and delving deeper. I find tinkering with driver
code fun, and have even fixed a few hardware things in the past.

This is the core of the problem. YOU may find it "fun" tinkering
around with drivers, compiling source and installing libraries and
whatnot, but to most of us, we just want an OS that works out of the
box with minimal - if any - issues. For most of us, trying to get an
installation set up to be fully compatible with our hardware and to
configure it just the way we want is a king-sized PITA. Particularly
so in so many cases where you reach the point where you can't justify
wasting any further time with it and realise all your efforts up to
that point have been in vain.
Personally I just want to get some *work* done with a computer - I'll
get my "fun" elsewhere.