Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ian Malcolm[_2_] Ian Malcolm[_2_] is offline

Default Gasket making

wrote:
On 20 Apr 2014 00:46:52 -0300, Mike Spencer wrote:

Larry Jaques writes:

Here'e a related question:

40 years ago I was a foreign car mechanic (back when "foreign car"
meant something :-). My recollection is that I used Permatex HiTack,
the candy-apple red, aerosol, non-hardening gasket sealer to seal carb
gaskets, fuel lines, fuel settling bowl gaskets etc. whenever there
was a leakage problem. Worked reliably. And it was *impervious* to
gasoline, had to use lacquer thinner to remove it. Any other Old
Geezers have the same recollections?

Yup. Used the spray hi-tack in place of the earlier permatex aviation
gasket sealer - which was even nastier to remove.

Because more recently, a few years ago, I had to seal a problem
settling bowl on a Wisconsin air-cooled. Leaked like a sieve.
Experiments showed that gasoline quickly dissolves and cleans off
HiTack very well. New can from store, same. New can sent directly
from Permatex, same.

Is it new gas additives/composition? Changes in the produst that even
the engineer at Permatex didn't know about? My memory has a huge hole
in it?

Ethanol is an effective solvent for both the old permatex and HiTack -
and it is quite possible the hi-tack formula has also changed,

I would also suspect the gasoline additives. It really wouldn't take much
ethanol to soften the compound enough for the petroleum distillates to be
able to attack it. Also, the compound may have been reformulated to
eliminale chlorinated compounds from the carrier solvent to keep the EPA
happy.

Is there a similar, alternative non-hardening, spray-on gasket sealer
that's impervious to gasoline (and diesel, for that matter)?

I don't bother with spray-on if I can find a suitable thinners to dilute
gasket compound from a tube to a brushable consistancy. If Ethanol in the
gas is the issue, avoid any compound that recommends any alcohol for
cleanup.

Hylomar Blue is reasonably gasolene resistant, though you should use it
really sparingly as globs of it squeezed out of the joint are likely to
go gooey if continuously immersed and may detach and cause trouble
elsewhere. It can be thinned with Acetone and brushed on easily and
evenly. When doing engine work, I keep a minature jam jar of it ready
diluted, as its best to let it stand a while for an even consistancy.

-- Ian Malcolm. London, ENGLAND. (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL