Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting the cord

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 22:05:20 -0400, micky
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 19:16:19 -0400, wrote:

It's not that hard to run a second cable into the house.

Part of my house overhangs the house in the back, and it's brown
underneath, so some brown cable going up next to the brown downspout and
then through an easy to drill hole that goes into the closet and it's
barely noticeable.

Another cable went in through tthe aluminum basement window frame, in
the empty space below the channel. So it didnt' interfere with the
operation of the window. For that cable, it's worth using plain cable
with no connector on the end yet, because it will go through a smaller
hole (small enough to fit in the empty space below the window channel) ,
and then to add t he F-connector to the end. They make screw-on
F-connectors though I've never gotten one to work. They also make
normal F-connectors of various designs and fairly cheap pliers to put
them on with. F-connector pliers are those which have a hexagon shaped
hole between the jaws when the jaws are closed. That's how a hexagonal
crimp is put on the round connector sleeve during attaching.

There are all kinds of "putty" or sealant to close the small space
remaining between the hole and the cable. I think just about anything
will work.

With the new digital cable (for TV and Internet) they run 100%
sheild, which you cannot crimp standard "F" connector to. You need
the Radial Quad Sheild Co-Ax connectors, which isntall with a
compression tool (Look up Zenith ZDS5061 for the tool)

$35 on Amazon. But I'm glad you warned me, and the other guy, in
advance.****

Also known as
"waterproof connectors"

But you have to use them even where it's dry? I gather the answer is
yes.

And do these also require the compression tool?***
http://www.amazon.com/PPC-Ex6xl-Rg-6.../ref=pd_cp_e_0

Those are the connectors - and yes, they need the "compression tool"

***The text doesnt' say... Well it doesn't say on the ad page, but in
the questions it pretty much says yes.

I ask because they are called "Snap and Seal" which makes them sound
like they go on easily, like Tupperware lids. Of coure the next two
words in their name is "Compression Connector" but, always hopeful, I'm
thinking maybe that means "serving in the role of a compresson
connector".

****"Wait a second, Alice" as Ralph Kramden might say. I was using
examples from when I got cable, but I was only giving advice on running
his antenna cable into the house. Standards for that haven't changed.

But I'm glad you warned us because I might get cable again someday.