Posted to alt.home.repair
vq vq is offline

Default Water Heater Flushing: Good idea or bad idea?

replying to micky , vq wrote:
NONONOmisc07 wrote:

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 18:44:02 +0000, VQ
So what year were you having the marble sounds?

Marble sounds sometime in 2007, about a year or two after the warranty was
out.
I ignored it for 6 more years. Lol!

It's amazing how some of these 6-year-warranty water heaters can take that
much abuse and still continue to work.
Good job on a well-built product, American Water Heater Company!

My new Rheem water heater has a 12-year warranty.
Electronic ignition, and there is supposedly something that stirs (?) the
water in there to retard sediment build-up.
Hopefully, I'll remember to flush the system at least once a year to keep
some of that sediment out :^)

When the plumber drained the old water heater before removal, strangely
not much sediment came out the hose.
(I was expecting to see rusty water, and tons of sediment)
That water heater was leaking from the top, down the sides; the top
inlet/outlet pipes at the water heater were corroded and had small pools
of water at the connectors. I have pics, but I don't think there's a way
to post them here.