Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan.Espen Dan.Espen is offline

Default Kitchen Faucet

writes:

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 16:34:00 -0400,
(Dan.Espen)
wrote:

Bathtubs are tough. The water/chemical approach doesn't really get the
job done well. A snake can work, but it's not easy. I had a tough
bathtub and fooled with chemicals for a long time. Finally I got in the
tub, used the entry point where the lever is, and pulled out loads of
hair and muck.

Pulling that lever plate and lifting out the stopper usually gives you
direct access to the drain pipe. You can try a toilet auger from there
to get out the hair clogs and such.

Yep.

I had a real hard time getting the snake to make it's way through
the trap and then out into the almost horizontal drain pipe.
With the sharp turns it took a lot of persuasion.
But persistence pays off.

Try the plunger on the tub drain
with that stopper out to clear it. Put a few inches of water in the
tub to get some water to work with.

It would be nice if they built tubs so that you could seal the
lever plate opening easily. Then plungers would have a better
chance. Old galvanized pipe doesn't give up hair balls too
easily though.

Glad I eventually had the bathroom remodeled and PVC put in.

--
Dan Espen